I have a confession to make: I’m obsessed with lip care products. My beauty product weakness is anything to do with glowing skin or pretty, soft lips.
A huge pet peeve of mine is dry, peeling, chapped lips. I HATE that. Not only is it not a good aesthetic, but it feels horrible. Dry, cracked or bleeding lips are very uncomfortable, even painful. I used to deal with this issue for weeks at a time. Thank God I’ve found some affordable drugstore lip products that helped remedy the issue. Now my lips are almost never dried out, they look healthy, conditioned, smooth and plump. They’re one of my favorite features about myself.
I’m constantly applying something to my lips throughout the day, whether it be a balm, or simply shea butter. I don’t go to sleep without applying a balm, butter, or oil, and that simple tip alone has improved my lips greatly.
I’d like to share with y’all some of my absolute favorite drugstore lip balms and treatments.
Aquaphor Lip Treatment
This is my first love when it comes to lip balms. When I had a horrible reaction to an Avon lipstick, this was the last resort that saved my lips. The blisters and pussing cleared up within three days when I started using this. From then on I used this to keep my lips from chapping and drying out. I use it on and off now since I became a lip product junkie, but this will always be one of my go-tos. If you don’t really like that Vaseline feeling, this may not be the best choice for you. Ironically, there’s no petrolatum in this product.
Elf Essential Lip Kiss Balm and Elf Lip Balm Tints
Elf makes some amazing beauty products across the board, and their balms happen to be some of my favorites. I adore these because they not only make my lips feel amazing but they add the cutest pop of color. The pinky red tones create a my lips but better, cherry Popsicle look to them that’s so sexy and poppin!
Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm
Jackie Aina, everyone’s favorite beauty guru, put me on to this one. It was a bit more than what I was used to spending on lip balms, but the price is worth it. It’s like a deep conditioner for your lips. I’d actually call it a much more affordable dupe for the Laura Mercier flawless skin rose lip balm that I have. I love putting this on at night before bed as an overnight treatment.
Rosebud Perfume Co. Rosebud Salve
This nourishing and soothing lip balm is a big one on my favorites list. It comes in both a tin and a tube. Both are the exact same formula, just in different packaging. The tube comes in handy for those who aren’t comfortable having to constantly dip their fingers in their lip balms. It feels intensely hydrating, smooth and buttery on the lips. The rose scent is probably my favorite pat. I’m having a bit of a rose kick lately, obsessing over any and everything roses. (Comment below if you would love to see a blog post on my favorite rose related beauty products!)
Burt’s Bees Lip Balm
I’ve kind of grown out of Burt’s Bees line because I try so many different kinds of lip balms, but it’ll always be an old favorite. They’re a great natural and cruelty free brand. Their lip balms do the job, and do it well. My favorite flavors are honey and most colors from the Tinted line.
Maybelline Baby Lips Moisturizing Lip Balm
This is a great affordable drugstore option that’s easy to throw in your purse and carry on the go. They leave a nice little sheen and do a great job at keeping my lips moisturized.
SheaMoisture Shea Butter Lip Balm
SheaMoisture has so many gems from hair care to body care. I feel like their lip balms are slept on. They make my lips feel amazing. My lips feel so soft after applying this, and it lasts for hours.
EOS Lip Balm
This is a classic and a cult favorite and I 100% understand why. It helps to make my lips feel super conditioned and nourished. The effects last for 24 hours before I feel the need to reapply anything else. I prefer the unscented flavor honestly, although the coconut milk scent is a good one.
Honestly, the Ulta Beauty brand is grossly underrated. They have so many slept on gems that it’s not even funny. Matter of fact, I’ll share a review of all the products I’ve tried from the line so far soon.
I’d consider this lip oil product by Ulta a cross between a lip balm and a lip gloss. They give the lips a sexy glossed over look that’s so shiny. It also helps my lips feel nourished rather than dried out. It lasts a pretty good while through food and drinks too, which is what really impressed me.
Don’t get these confused with the tinted version of this; I tried those and weren’t impressed at all. Total dud.
Interested in trying any of these amazing drugstore lip balms? Check them all out below!
To end this post, I’d like to share a few lip care tips:
- Lip scrubs are a major key. You can easily DIY your own and choose from a myriad of cute recipes. Try 1-2x per week to maintain chap-free lips.
- DO NOT over exfoliate. It’ll backfire and cause major irritation to the skin.
- Reapply lip balms after every time you eat/feel it fading. Of course this doesn’t apply if you’re wearing lipstick/gloss for the day.
- Apply lip balm a few minutes before your lipstick, or at the start of your makeup routine, not right before. Otherwise, you’ll decrease the longevity of the lipstick.
- Tinted lip balms are amazing additions to the perfect “no makeup” makeup look.
- Technically lip balms aren’t “makeup”, but should be a simple addition to everyone’s personal hygiene.
- Good ol’ classic raw shea butter, olive oil and castor oil are the best natural lip conditioners (in my opinion).
- Apply some kind of lip conditioning product every night before bed, especially during summer and winter. Wake up to smooth, baby soft lips!
Let’s start a convo in the comments!
- What’s your favorite lip balm/ lip care product?
- Are you A. the type to reapply lip balm 5+ times a day out of habit or B. the type to forget you even had one in your pocket/purse?
- How important is incorporating lip care in your skincare routine to you?